It’s officially the new year, and every new year I do some sort of cleanse or detox. You likely know your liver is your body’s filter, but maybe don’t realize how important the liver is.
- Produces bile
- Uses bile to break down what we eat
- Converts what we eat into substances our body can use
- Stores those substances
- Gives them to cells in the body when needed
- Takes toxins in the body and wraps them up in a neat harmless package
- Makes sure toxins are released from the body
- Uses vitamin K to make the protein needed for blood clotting
This year I really felt like it was a good idea to do a Liver Gallbladder Flush. I did one last year with my husband and dad. I didn’t realize that we all have liver stones and gallstones and was shocked at all the stones that I passed. Dark ones too. From my research that means that they are old. Makes sense being that it was my first time. Liver stones and gallstones are essentially the same thing, the difference in their name is just basically denoting where they are stored.
Andreas Mortiz wrote the book ‘The Amazing Liver and Gallbladder Flush’ and in the book he explains in depth how and why to do a flush. He explains that those who have had their gallbladder removed can (and should) still do liver flushes. Here is what he said;
“If your gallbladder has already been removed, you can certainly still do liver flushes. In fact, people without a gallbladder tend to have many more stones in their liver than those who still have a gallbladder. Intrahepatic stones (meaning stones inside the liver) hinder the liver in removing toxins and waste products from the blood, which can lead to an overload of toxins in the body’s connective and fat tissues. This can lead to lymphatic congestion and weight gain – a protective measure taken by the body to temporarily keep toxins from doing harm – and many other conditions, including diabetes, heart disease, and cancer.”
What you need for your flush:
- (5 x’s) 1 Liter of Organic Nonpasteurized Apple Juice OR you can drink (5 x’s) 1L of good-clean water mixed with 4 TBS of Organic Unfiltered NonPasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar OR you can drink (5 x’s) 1L of good-clean water mixed with 6 tsp Malic Acid
- 4 TBS Epsom Salts (will be dissolved in 3 cups water)
- 1/2 cup Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (can’t be coconut oil, sorry, won’t work)
- 5 oz of fresh squeezed grapefruit, lemon OR orange juice
The Flush Directions
Day 1 – Day 5: throughout the day you will drink
- 1 Liter of Organic NonPasteurized Apple Juice
- OR 1 Liter of good-clean water mixed with 4oz of Apple Cider Vinegar (Organic Unfiltered NonPasteurized and with the Mother)
- OR 1Liter of good-clean water mixed with 6 tsp Malic Acid. (this means by the end of the 5th day you will have drank 5 Liters of either of these liquids)
You don’t have to keep drinking the same choice for all 5 days, you can rotate which option you pick, if you want to.
Drink the Liter of liquid throughout the day rather than trying to guzzling it down. Apples and Apple Cider Vinegar have Malic Acid in them naturally and it helps soften your stones and makes them easier to pass.
During these 5 days you are preparing your body to do some major work, so the better you help prepare the easier the flush will be.
For the first 5 days eat a plant based diet relatively low in fat. Avoid meat, cheese/yogurt/milk, eggs, processed food. Try to consume an increased amount cruciferous vegetables (list below), they are quite helpful, eat organic apples as well. Here is a a list of some other good stuff to consume during these 5 days; Liver Cleansing Foods. Make sure that you are getting at least 64oz of pure water daily!
Day 6 Flush Day:
Remember to eat light today, no fat. That allows the bile in your liver to build up and put pressure on your liver which will in turn allow more stones to pass. What you eat today will effect how your flush goes, so take it easy, eat light and make sure no fat (like oils, nuts, seeds, avocado, chocolate, meat, eggs, milk/yogurt/cheese).
Ideas of what to eat today:
Smoothie or Juice (with fruit and veggies)
Bowl of Oatmeal
Salad (with dressing that is fat/oil free)
Fat Free Veggie Soup
Steamed or sauteed (without oil!) veggies with quinoa, millet or brown rice.
- Stop eating by 2:00pm. At that time, mix together 4 tablespoons of Epsom Salt (food grade) with 3 cups of water the best water you can get. Don’t drink any yet, just put it in the fridge to get cold and for the salt to dissolve in the water. Just a heads up, it’s gonna taste nasty when you drink it.
- 6p. Drink 3/4 cup of the Epsom Salt Water. Yep, it’s going to be disgusting. Plug your nose, or whatever trick you need. Gag it down. Sorry.
- 8p. Drink an additional 3/4 cup of the Epsom Salt Water. Get whatever you need done for the night finished, errands run, whatever. On your next step (which is at 9:45/10p) and you have to lay down immediately following (for the rest of the night) so enjoy the rest of your up and about time.
- 9:45p pull out whatever citrus you are going to use (grapefruit, lemon or orange) and squeeze to get 5oz worth. In a bottle or container with a liquid secure lid, pour 1/2 cup (4oz) of your organic extra virgin olive oil and combine it with your 5oz citrus juice. Secure the cap/lid.
- 10p Shake your olive oil citrus juice mixture until it’s all liquid. Now drink it, try to drink it all in less than 5 min. Some people say it’s easier to drink it through a straw, if you want to try that.
- Lay down AS SOON as you are done with your olive oil drink and stay down! Lay down on your right side, with your right knee up towards your chin for 20-30 mins. Stay still trying not to move at all. Sleep if you can. You may feel the stones rolling through, but there shouldn’t be any pain because the magnesium in the Epsom salts keeps the bile duct valves open & relaxed, plus the bile that is excreted along with the stones keeps the bile ducts well lubricated (this is totally different if a person has a gallbladder attack. Then magnesium and bile are not present) After the 20-30 min if you have to get up, maybe the bathroom, you may do so, but lay back down as soon as you are done.
- 6:30a or so the next morning, if you weren’t up multiple times during the night using the bathroom, drink another 3/4 cup of the epsom salt water. Feel free to go back to bed now.
- 8-8:30a, if you haven’t had some pretty good toilet actions, drink the last 3/4 cup of epsom salt water. It is going to make you have movement for sure.
- 10:30a, you can drink freshly pressed fruit juice if you want. 30 min later, you can eat one or two pieces of fresh fruit, see how it goes.
- 1 hour afterwards you can eat regular (but light) plant based food. By the evening or the next morning you should be feeling back to normal, and feel the first signs of improvement. Try to eat light for at least the rest of the day and likely the following day. You just underwent a major undertaking.
What to Expect
The next morning, potentially during the night, you can expect some sort of diarrhea or really watery stools (it’s because of the Epsom salts). You will likely end up having several trips to the restroom. You may or may not see some stones afterwards. Some people just eliminate regular wastes, but others eliminate up to hundreds of stones. Some don’t get any stones in their first flush, gotta be patient. If you don’t see any stones, wait 3-4 weeks and do this again. Our livers don’t get to this state in just one day or a week, so, similar principle applies on cleansing it, might take some repeating. It is also good to know that if you do release stones, this likely isn’t all of them, and you will have pushed some old ones forward.
STONES! (explained thanks to Davidwolfe.com)
“Most of the stones are pea-green and float in the toilet because they contain bile compounds. The stones come in different shades of green and may be bright colored and shiny like gemstones. Only bile from the liver can cause the green color. Gallstones can come in all sizes, colors and shapes. The light-colored stones are the newest. Blackish stones are the oldest. Some are pea-sized or smaller, and others are as big as two or three centimeters in diameter (about 1 inch). There may be dozens and, sometimes, even hundreds of stones (of different sizes and colors) coming out at once. Also, watch out for tan-colored and white stones. Some of the larger tan-colored or white stones may sink to the bottom with the stool. They are calcified gallstones that were released from the gallbladder and contain heavier toxic substances with only small amounts of cholesterol. All the green and yellowish stones are as soft as putty, thanks to the action of the malic acid/ apple juice. You may also find a layer of white or tan-colored chaff or ‘foam’ floating in the toilet. The foam consists of millions of tiny white, sharp-edged cholesterol crystals, which can easily rupture small bile ducts. They are equally important to release.”
Here are some food ideas if you are struggling…